Tuesday 11 March 2014

Triple Chocolate Chewy Brownies

They are exactly as the title says: Triple Chocolate Chewy Brownies. My mouth is watering just writing that. I chose this recipe to be my first recipe post because they are by far my favourite thing to bake and not just because they are so so simple to make. It is because they taste so unbelievably good and you can easily add your own favourites to the recipe. I've added chocolate chunks and hazelnuts to this recipe and I know a friend of mine adds walnuts when she bakes them. Baking these brownies also fills the kitchen with the most amazing smell. Don't believe me? Why don't you try for yourself...


I always get all my ingredients prepared before I start any recipe. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have began baking something only to realise I have forgotten to weigh out an ingredient and then I panic and get all flustered. Not good! So weigh out all your ingredients and have them ready to just pop into the mix. 


If you would like to leave out the milk and white chocolate chunks and just have plain chocolate brownies that is completely up to you. I have done them both ways and both ways are still really yummy! 



I have been making these brownies for years now and have made them for many occasions and they are a big crowd pleaser. 

Ingredients 
(as shown above)

3 Eggs
325g Caster Sugar 
175g Butter 
130g Plain Flour 
200g Plain / Dark Chocolate 
100g Milk and White Chocolate Chunks mix (optional)
2 Tbsp Chopped Hazelnuts (optional)

Prepare

Preheat your oven to 170oC / gas mark 3
Line a 12" x 8" x 2" baking tray with parchment paper

Method

  Begin by melting the chocolate and butter together over a Bain-Marie. A Bain-Marie is basically a fancy word for a hot water bath. Place a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. It is extremely important that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water as it will scald the chocolate and it will burn.





Once the butter and chocolate have melted you will be left with a glossy chocolaty mixture. Take this off the heat and gradually stir in the caster sugar and mix until well incorporated.


Now add in the flour. Once the flour has been well incorporated add the eggs and mix until you have a thick and gooey mix! Stir in your chocolate chunks and hazelnuts if you have decided to add them to your brownies.


Spoon the mixture into your lined baking tray. Try and ensure you have some parchment paper hanging over the edge of your baking tray as it makes it easier to grab and lift the brownies out of the tray when cooked.


Now, when I cooked the brownies this time I sprinkled the chocolate chunks on top thinking they would sink down into the mix. I would not recommend this as they only partially sunk into the brownie and unfortunately some of them burned at the tips from the heat of the oven. I have just added this picture because it looks so yummy!! Also a good example of the parchment paper coming out over the tray.

Bake your brownies in your preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes. When cooked the brownies will be flaky on top but soft in the centre. A cake tester or toothpick inserted into the centre of the brownie should return wet with crumbs. Be careful not to over cook as the edges will become hard and crunchy.

Remove the brownies from the baking tray and cool on a wire rack. When cooled  completely cut to size and sprinkle with icing sugar if desired. 


These brownies can be served cold but I have also served them warm as a desert with vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream. Just blast in the microwave for 15-20 seconds on full power. 


Check out that soft chewy centre...!!



As I mentioned in my welcome post, technology and me don't really mix and when I began preparing for this post I realised my camera had no battery! Case and Point! I took these photos with my phone and I have to say I really don't think they turned out too bad..!! 

Let me know if you try out this recipe and how it worked for you. You can also find me on Twitter and Instagram  so please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.

Happy Baking!
O x






4 comments:

  1. Definitely going to try this one after lent! Looks AMAZING! Nom! :) Keep the recipes coming! Leah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried your recipe last night Odharna and they turned out very well for a guy that's never baked in his life! Brought them to work and they were a hit. Lots of avid bakers wanted to know where I got the recipe. Expect many more views on your blog from Northern Ireland! Keep up the good work! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey David, Sorry for the late reply- still getting used to this! Great to hear the brownies turned out well and your workies liked them! Thanks for spreading the word about my little blog :) X

      Delete